John de la Hoyde is a Partner in the Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Division at Madison Marcus. Since admission in 2013, John has practised in a number of areas of commercial litigation and dispute resolution, including complex commercial disputes, injunctions, construction litigation, and property litigation, with a particular focus on commercial resolution and the protection of brand integrity.
John has advised and acted for leading clients in media, pharmacy, financial services, food and beverage, construction, property development, and hospitality industries in relation to disputes litigated in the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of New South Wales, as well as other jurisdictions such as the District Court of New South Wales and the NCAT.
Notable matters that John has acted in include:
- Acted in complex multi-party proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW involving a nationally recognized law firm and international bank in associated claims arising out of a multi-million-dollar fraud committed by an employed solicitor over a period of two years.
- Successfully acted for a bus transportation company in respect of a professional negligence/deceit claim against its former financial accountants, resulting in a multi-million-dollar judgment and an indemnity gross sum costs order. He also successfully acted for the same client in defending an appeal in the Full Court brought by the accountancy firm.
- Acted in the defense of complex class action proceedings involving the characterisation/construction of contracts for the sale of units in a development comprising over 300 class members.
- Successfully acted for an international pharmaceutical company in a federal court dispute concerning a comparative advertising campaign run by its competitor.
- Acted for executors of a complex and financially plentiful estate in respect of a claim brought in the Supreme Court of NSW by the beneficiaries of the estate to have the executors removed.
- Successfully acted for an international office space services company in obtaining a Mareva order and final relief against a former employee who committed a series of frauds during the course of his employment.