John de la Hoyde
commercial litigation & dispute resolution
John de la Hoyde is a Senior Associate in the Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution team at Madison Marcus,.
Since admission in 2013, John has practiced in a number of areas of commercial litigation and dispute resolution including complex commercial disputes, injunctions, construction litigation and property litigation with a particular focus on commercial resolution and the protection of brand integrity.
John has advised and acted for leading clients in media, pharmacy, financial services, food and beverage, construction, property development and hospitality industries in relation to disputes litigated in the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of New South Wales, together with other jurisdictions such as the District Court of New South Wales and the NCAT.
Matter highlights include:
- Acted in complex multi-party proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW involving a nationally recognised law firm and international bank in associated claims arising out of a multi-million dollar fraud committed by an employed solicitor over a period of two years;
- Successfully acted for a bus transportation company in respect of a professional negligence / deceit claim against its former financial accountants which resulted in a multi-million dollar judgment and an indemnity gross-sum costs order. Also successfully acted for the same client in defending an appeal in the Full Court brought by the accountancy firm;
- Acted in defence of complex class action proceedings involving the characterisation / construction of contracts for sale of units in a development comprising of over 300 class members;
- Successfully acted for an international pharmaceutical company in regards to a Federal Court dispute concerning a comparative advertising campaign run by its competitor;
- Acted for executors of a complex and financially plentiful estate in respect of a claim brought in the Supreme Court of NSW by the beneficiaries of the estate to have the executors removed;
- Successfully acted for an international office space services company in obtaining a Mareva order and final relief against a former employee who committed a series of frauds during the course of his employment.
+61 2 8022 1222